Out Door Worship Service
OUTDOOR WORSHIP SERVICE – STRATHROY UNITED CHURCH
The Province recently allowed churches to hold outdoor worship services limited to 50 people. Our Council Executive approved a plan to hold an outdoor service this Sunday at 9:00am on our Front St. lawn. We are excited to gather again for worship!
IMPORTANT. Only 50 people can gather, so you must register to attend. Seating is designated to ensure physical distancing. We need to collect contact information for public health officials in case of an outbreak. Please read this entire page before calling to reserve a seat.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
• Please phone the church office (519-245-0276) to register. Phone reservations will be taken only on:
o Thursday: 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
o Friday: 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
• Please do no leave any voicemail messages or emails. You must speak directly with Patti Baratta by telephone to reserve a space.
• You may only register yourself and your household. You cannot register other households.
• You must provide Patti with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all people you register to attend (for possible contract tracing if outbreak).
• Please help Patti keep your phone call to under 4 minutes so she can process the 50 registrations in those 2 hours. Please contact her separately for other church business.
ARE THERE RISKS?
• Yes. Everyone is at risk of being infected with COVID-19.
• Public health and United Church advice is for vulnerable people to avoid gatherings.
• Vulnerable people include people over 70 years old and people with medical conditions.
• An outdoor worship service involves possible contact with people who are infected with the virus.
WHAT SCREENING HAPPENS ON SUNDAY?
• Please take your temperature before leaving home (99.5F / 37.5C or less)
• Please arrive between 8:30 am and 8:45 am, allowing us time for screening and staggered seating.
• Please note the 9:00 am time change. The service is an hour earlier than usual to avoid sun and heat.
• Please line up for screening, keeping 2 metres apart from other households.
• You’ll be greeted by a volunteer who will check your name with the registration list
• You’ll be asked the following screening questions:
o Have you travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
o Are you experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms?
(cough, sputum production, shortness of breath, undue fatigue, loss of appetite, muscle aching, running nose, chills involving shakes, loss of taste or smell, feeling ill)
o Have you been in contact in the last 14 days with someone that has COVIC-19?
o When you took your temperature today, was it over 37.5C?
• If you answer YES to any of these questions, you’ll be asked to return home. We thank you for your cooperation as we take these precautions.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER SCREENING?
• A greeter will share the following advice with you:
o Please avoid touching your face or other persons
o Washrooms are only available at the Maria Street entrance
o Please only access the washrooms if necessary
• An usher will walk you to your seating area.
• Please stay in your area for the duration of the service.
WHAT DO I BRING?
• Please bring a lawn chair or your walker for seating. To reduce the burden of disinfecting, we are not providing chairs.
• Please bring an umbrella. The forecast is hot and sunny, and the umbrella will provide shade in the sun and protection if it rains. Most seating will be in the two shaded areas, but the sun will shift during the service.
• Please bring a water bottle. You’ll need to stay hydrated in the heat and sun.
• Please bring a mask. You are not required to wear a mask outside, but a mask may be needed unexpectedly.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING WORSHIP?
• Andy will provide gathering music using the church organ. The sound will be loud enough to hear and enjoy as you wait for the service to begin.
• Brad will lead worship. The worship service will not include any unison speaking or singing by the congregation. Even though we are outside, we’ll adhere to public health standards limiting group singing.
• Imagine you’re at church camp, but without the campfire or camp songs. Or smores.
• An offering basket will be available for when you arrive or depart.
• The service will be shorter than usual.
• Children are welcome. You must register your children, who are counted in our 50 person limit. Children need to remain seated during the service to ensure 2 metre physical distancing with other participants.
• Following the service, please wait for people closer to road to exit first, allowing 2 metre distancing.
• Please do not gather for social interaction on church property.
• Please help us to demonstrate to the community and public health officials our ability to gather responsibly for worship.
• The Reopening Ad Hoc Team will assess this Sunday’s outdoor service and decide if and how frequently to hold additional services
• This invitation is being distributed by email. If you know someone in the congregation who does not have email, please phone them and share this information.
We look forward to seeing you this Sunday. For people unable to register this week, we thank you for your understanding. You are an important member of the Strathroy United Church family.
Rev. Dr. Brad Morrison