YOU ARE INVITED! The Province now allows outdoor gatherings of 100 people with physical distancing and other precautions. Our lawn can accommodate approximately 65 people for an outdoor worship service. You are invited to an outdoor service this Sunday at 9:00am on our Front Street lawn.
IMPORTANT. There is no pre-registration required, but people will be seated on Sunday morning while spaces are available. People arriving after seating capacity is reached will be asked to return home to watch the Facebook livestream of the worship service.
Please read this entire page before arriving on Sunday morning.
ARE THERE RISKS?
- Yes. Everyone is at risk of being infected with COVID-19.
- Public health and United Church advice is for vulnerable people to avoid gatherings.
- Vulnerable people include people over 70 years old and people with medical conditions.
- An outdoor worship service involves possible contact with people who are infected with the virus.
WHAT SCREENING HAPPENS ON SUNDAY?
- Please take your temperature before leaving home (99.5F / 37.5C or less)
- Please arrive between 8:30 am and 8:45 am, allowing us time for screening, registration, and seating.
- Please note the 9:00 am time change. The service is an hour earlier than usual to avoid sun and heat.
- Please line up for registration and screening, keeping 2 metres apart from other households.
- You’ll be greeted by a volunteer who will register the names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone attending from your household (for possible contract tracing if outbreak).
- You’ll be asked the following screening questions:
- Have you travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Are you experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms? (cough, sputum production, shortness of breath, undue fatigue, loss of appetite, muscle aching, running nose, chills involving shakes, loss of taste or smell, feeling ill)
- Have you been in contact in the last 14 days with someone that has COVIC-19?
- When you took your temperature today, was it 99.5F / 37.5C or less?
- If you answer YES to any of these questions, you’ll be asked to return home to watch the Facebook livestream of the worship service. We thank you for your cooperation as we take these precautions.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER SCREENING?
- A greeter will share the following advice with you:
- Please avoid touching your face or other persons
- Please keep 2m apart from others outside your household
- Washrooms are only available at the Maria Street entrance
- Please only access the washrooms if necessary
- An usher will walk you to your seating area.
- Please stay in your area for the duration of the service.
WHAT DO I BRING?
- Please bring a lawn chair or your walker for seating. To reduce the volunteer burden of disinfecting, we are not providing chairs.
- Please bring an umbrella. The forecast is uncertain, and the umbrella will provide shade in the sun and protection if it rains. Most seating will be in the shade, but the sun will shift during the service.
- Please bring a water bottle. You’ll need to stay hydrated in the heat and sun.
- Please bring a mask. You are not required to wear a mask outside, but a mask may be needed unexpectedly.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING WORSHIP?
- Andy will provide gathering music to enjoy as you wait for the service to begin.
- Brad will lead worship. The worship service will not include any unison speaking or singing by the congregation. Even though we are outside, we’ll adhere to public health standards limiting group singing.
- Imagine you’re at church camp, but without the campfire or camp songs. Or smores.
- An offering basket will be available for when you arrive or depart.
- The service will be shorter than usual.
- Children are welcome. Children are counted in our seating capacity limit. Children need to remain seated during the service to ensure 2 metre physical distancing with other participants.
- If poor weather requires us to cancel or postpone the service, we’ll post a notice on Facebook. The notice may be last minute, causing an inconvenience for people already en route to the church – we apologize in advance for the inconvenience.
- Following the service, please wait for people closer to road to exit first, allowing 2 metre distancing.
- Please do not gather for social interaction on church property.
- Please help us to demonstrate to the community and public health officials our ability to gather responsibly for worship.
- This invitation is being distributed by email. If you know someone in the congregation who does not have email, please phone them and share this information.
We look forward to seeing you this Sunday. For people unable to attend for health, safety, and precautions, we hope you can join us online. You are an important member of the Strathroy United Church family.
Rev. Dr. Brad Morrison